Women sitting in bed wearing white tank tops and blue denim shorts There are many reasons why people wear back braces, from surgery to bending the spine and helping to lift heavy objects. The goal of back braces is to improve spinal health. Reduce back pain and avoid future problems. Functionally, it limits spinal mobility while providing spinal support.
Wearing a back brace takes some getting used to, but it can have a huge positive impact on your back health and your comfort. Here are some tips for getting the best results. Ask questions directly at the two Heavenly Wheels stores in Atlanta, Georgia and Johns Creek.
8 ways to make your back brace more comfortable to wear
- Follow your doctor's instructions: Your doctor will advise you on how to wear it properly to provide the necessary back support. Learn how long to wear. When do you take it off? What kind of activities should be done with or without it? Whether / should the brace be worn in the shower. Should I sleep in a brace? Whether you need to put on the brace before you get out of bed.
- Ask for help: If your brace is too difficult to put on and take off without help, take action. Ask your family and friends for help. Please consult your doctor. Experienced advisors may help you learn how to put on and take off yourself.
- First, apply rubbing alcohol. Rubbing alcohol strengthens the skin and prevents severe irritation and rough skin. This is the first few weeks before the skin becomes stiff.
- Keep your skin clean: This reduces friction and prevents your skin from becoming raw and blisters. Take a bath daily and use a cleaning wipe if necessary.
- Do not put lotion under the brace. Moisture can cause irritation and pain. Cornstarch can improve comfort in hot weather.
- Wear a shirt under the brace: This will help prevent skin irritation. Choose a shirt that is clean, snug, and has no side seams. It is made of 100% seamless cotton and the length of the brace needs to be extended. Make sure the shirt is wrinkle-free.
- Wear loose clothing over the brace. Loose clothing is usually more comfortable on the back brace than tight clothing. Many people like to cover the back brace with a layer of clothing.
- Keep cool: Hot and sweaty can increase the discomfort of the back brace. Stay in an air-conditioned area and perform other steps to keep you cool.
- If you have any questions about wearing a brace, talk to your doctor or someone on the Heavenly Wheels team. We are proud to be a supplier of medical devices at our two stores in Atlanta, Georgia and Johns Creek.